Bob's Gun Shop
Nick Kuszyk is the artist who won a contest to turn a blank wall in Downtown Norfolk into a masterpiece.
His canvas for the mural is a five-story wall at Bob’s Gun Shop at 746 Granby Street in the Norfolk Arts District. The 36-year-old Kuszyk has degrees in painting and sculpture from Virginia Commonwealth University. He submitted three entries for a contest sponsored by the Norfolk Arts District, where the grand prize was $10,000 to budget for paint, supplies and lighting for the mural.
Side Mirror View of The Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception
The Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception is located in downtown Norfolk. It is the oldest parish community in the Catholic Diocese of Richmond and often referred to as "The Mother Church of Tidewater Virginia." It came into existence in 1791 as St. Patrick's Church which was two years before the establishment of the United States hierarchy and twenty-nine years before the institution of the Richmond Diocese. Its first parishioners were French Catholics, compelled to abandon their native land by the French Revolution. In a matter of years, it received some of the earliest Irish Catholic immigrants to the United States.
The original church was built in 1842, but was destroyed by fire in 1856 rendering the building dysfunctional for use as a church. In 1858, the present church building was erected. It was dedicated to Mary of the Immaculate Conception, and was the first church to bear the name after the dogma of the Immaculate Conception by Pope Pius IX. African American Catholics began attending St. Mary in 1886 where a portion of the choir loft was reserved for them. On December 8, 1991, the Church of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception became a Minor Basilica. The date also marked the 200th Anniversary of the church.
Metal Matisse for the Holidays
The Los Angeles-based public art/design firm Electroland paid homage to the artist with "Metal Matisse," a project of the city's public art program. The 30-foot-tall vase of flowers is made of stainless steel and is rigged to change colors and emit sounds in response to passersby. It is on the lawn at the light-rail station at Mac-Arthur Square.
The Tide for the Holidays
Over twenty years ago ForKids was founded by local citizens to shelter families in the Ocean View neighborhood of Norfolk. After opening Haven House as a 30-day emergency shelter those same citizens quickly found that short-term shelter was not an adequate solution for family homelessness and they embarked upon a new mission to “break the cycle of family homelessness.” http://forkidsva.org/get_involved/donors.html
Norfolk Scope Arena
The Scope arena was designed by Italian architect/engineer Pier Luigi Nervi in conjunction with the (now defunct) local firm of Williams and Tazewell, which designed the entire complex. Nervi's design for the arena's reinforced concrete dome evolved from the Palazzetto dello Sport now known as the PalaLottomatica, which was built for the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome.
Confederate Monument, Norfolk, Virgina
On January 28, 1898, the City of Norfolk granted permission to place the Confederate Monument in Commercial Place (earlier known as Market Square). The cornerstone of this monument was laid February 22, 1899, the thirty-second anniversary of the inauguration of Jefferson Davis as president of the Confederacy.
The monument was designed by the Couper Marble Works of Norfolk.